A well known residential developer are seeking a Commercial Director to help deliver 1000's of residential properties across numerous sites in the Midlands. From their base in Birmingham they will report directly into the Board and manage a strong commercial team.
Strategically direct the commercial function in conjunction with the Regional Board of Directors. Commercially, financially, and operationally deliver the product function, working through the operational site and product development teams, adopting the company philosophy and business ethos of: challenging standards, thinking outside the box, collaboratively working with / learning from other OpCos, innovating design, valuing people and facilitating alternative solutions.
Commercial Director requirements
- Facilitate the commercial manager and all department staff and other project associated colleagues including the construction team, the site delivery and post sales staff to deliver a project in its entirety from inception of any site through conception to completion of project including acquisition of all land, planning and building permissions, design, material, sub contract procurement, post sales after care.
- Ensure appropriate systems are in place to manage the quality and financial aspects of all projects delivering appropriate concise reports to board meetings on a diarised basis.
- Leading the strategic development and management of the commercial team.
- Taking a financial overview of all contracts for profitability and viability.
- Liaison with architects and consultants and stakeholders so as to provide continuous value engineering of design concepts and proposals.
- Oversee the monitoring of changes so as to continuously identify the status of costs.
- Overseeing material and sub contract procurement strategy is appropriate.
- Facilitating the implementation of alternative value engineered subcontractor and partnering arrangements.
- Reviewing with the design team value engineered solutions prior to implementation for innovation and cutting edge solutions.
- Advising on contract forms and managing risk mitigation in conjunction with the commercial manager.
- Facilitating an open minded proactive attitude towards change and innovation within the business.
The Commercial Director should be comfortable building and maintaining relationships with customers and colleagues and influencing others using rational arguments. Performs effectively by keeping emotions under control, particularly in stressful and difficult situations. Thinks of and/or encourages new ideas, and is keen to experiment and see ideas implemented.
Anticipates the possible demands and outcomes of a particular task or situation – plans and prioritises appropriately
The Commercial Director must put H&S and Quality at the forefront of all that they do, consistently work to a high standard and looks for ways to improve current working practices and processes for the benefit of the team.Takes appropriate action before being asked and actively finds solutions to problems
- Technical knowledge to degree or similar level.
- Experience in working in construction.
- Working knowledge of current building regulations and legislation NHER/ NHBC.
- Critical path programme management.
- Takes personal responsibility for resolving problems and issues.
- Commercial Market approach.
- Proactive, self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook An effective leader, motivator and mentor
- Proactive, flexible and reliable
- Credible, and comfortable in dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined
- Good Team Player
- Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view
- Keen to deliver exceptional customer service
If you have over 5 years working as a Commercial Director for a Residential developer or house builder and are looking for a new challenge, in a world class environment then please apply to this position.